Thursday, February 26, 2009

Music

I’ve been enjoying some new music and it got me thinking about why we like certain music. I know that where and how we are raised has a huge impact on what we might choose. The choices are amazing. I do watch American Idol, but not until the auditions are over. I don’t want to hear the begging and crying, I want to hear the singers sing.

When I’m driving and want to just think or work on my books in my head, I will not always listen to music, but one of my favorite things to listen to is Enigma ~ Deep Forest. There are some Pigmy songs that totally transport me to the fantasy world I like to write.

Our favorite music is often generational. If you were in school during the eighties then you can really appreciate those artists. My brother and his wife are seven years younger than I am and they love YES. My brother in law, older has everything Bob Dylan ever recorded.

I like to think that my taste is eclectic. I love so many songs from the sixties, seventies and beyond. I buy new artist all the time. I will even listen to gangster rap, not often, but sometimes if there is something interesting musically in how it affects me. I’m the one who can spend a couple of hours at B&N listening to all the new CD’s trying to discover some one that catches my ear.

I also love the oldies, Ella and Miles and Chet Baker. Trumpet, pure and bluesy just turns me on…let me qualify that I don’t like too much percussion. Of the new guys, I’m huge on Chris Botti and Rick Braun. I also have a real thing for a lot of James Taylor songs. His voice is so smooth, he sings as if it is breathing to him, effortlessly. His song the secret of life…I will listen over and over to remember to enjoy the ride.

Rhianna

5 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

I don’t want to hear the begging and crying, I want to hear the singers sing.

Oh no...this is the best part, people making asses of themselves. LOL I don't watch AI, only see bits and pieces when surfing.

I know that where and how we are raised has a huge impact on what we might choose.

My mom being a piano player gave me my love of classical. It was played often in the house. Same with some gospel and religious music. I come from a very musical family so I got exposed to a lot.

Our favorite music is often generational.

I'd say that's kind of true. Although in my case, not so much. I much prefer what I heard as a child on the radio like 40's-early 70's, than what was big when I was a teen. Even now I'll put on the oldies station over classic rock.

Like you I have very eclectic tastes and can be turned on by most anything. Mostly what I listen to is the latest thing that I get turned on to.

My favorite thing to do though is put my iPod on song shuffle that way I never know what's coming up or what genre. I like to mix it all up.

When reading I like only soft music with no words.

When I was studying, especially math and science, I had hard core dance/drumming beat music. Somehow it made my brain really grasp those concepts.

Same when I took tests-- LOL chewed gum like crazy to intense dance music. I always got over 98% when I did that.

For short drives- rave/dance music
Long drives- new age or oldies

Last few songs I downloaded:

Rich Girl- Gwen Stephani
Groove is in the Heart- Deee-Lite
Gold Digger- Kanye West/Jamie Foxx
Ooh La La- Goldfrapp
Faster Kill Pussycat-Brittany Murphy
SOS- Rihanna
12 Songs- Neil Diamond
SexyBack- Justin Timberlake

When I was poor I used to walk to downtown Seattle every week, go to the library and then go to Borders and spend hours there listening to everything. It was a cheap way to be entertained. It's still my main way to find new stuff.

I... would die without music. I'm always listening to it.

Rhianna Samuels said...

I have to admit that I agree with about 80% of what you have to say. I never got in to trance music that much, but then I've really not tried to listen to it that much.

The trouble with me is that I don't listen to the radio very much, but discover through music stores or family. That's weird isn't it?

You should keep up a What I'm listening to list so I can check out new music.

Rhianna

LVLM(Leah) said...

I have to admit that I agree with about 80% of what you have to say.

Heh, maybe you should chew gum and crank up the house music and then you might be able to agree 98%. :P

That's weird isn't it?

Yes, you're probably very weird. :D

I never got in to trance music that much,

I love to dance. Really get my freak on and go wild. I lived in discos during my 20's-30's. In Japan, I went every weekend to the disco and we'd spend all night there, and then when they closed at 4 am, we'd go to a second rave type place until 6 am when the first train came. I would literally dance for 6 hours straight.

So dance/trance/rave/house music has always been a huge part of my collection. If I didn't like to dance so much, it probably would annoy the crap out of me. LOL

Rhianna Samuels said...

I also got my groove on in my younger days and remember working in a restaurant and when it closed we'd all go to the disco, dance/ drink and then at 3am we'd head to after places for breakfast. I didn't do it for years, but I spent a couple of years in that seen. I especially loved to go to the gay discos where the guys were all greased up and shinning as they danced.

I suppose the current equivalent to that now a days are the raves from about five years ago. It was another time. But I never called it trance music. maybe it's more of a semantics issue.

I do like that kind of music, though I don't really listen to it much anymore.

Rhianna

LVLM(Leah) said...

I especially loved to go to the gay discos where the guys were all greased up and shinning as they danced.

Loved going to gay discos. They had the best dance music and I didn't have to worry about scuzzy guys trying to pick me up. Also they were very free- you could kind of do anything or dress however. And the guys were pretty nice to look at. :D