Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The trip and back

I was gone to a funeral for the weekend, the trip started on New Years Eve, which I don’t recommend as a traveling day. Mostly, because you can’t catch a deal on a decent hotel and it’s expensive to pay maximum price. None of the big hotels have a funeral price. Oh well.

It was a sad occasion to reunite with family. After the service was over, we met with some of our cousins. We were in a small east Texas town, that has turned into one of those historical villages, with antique stores and bed and breakfasts abounding.

My older brother arranged to have a cottage for everyone to get together and got me a room in a B&B. I ended up in a two room cottage, which at one time was the slave quarters, the bed was so high, I needed a trampoline to get up on the thing and they didn’t have a foot stool to help. I managed. My nephew shared the cottage for one night, he was in the room that had bloomers decorating the walls. I asked him what he thought of that… he answered…”They didn’t fit”… he’s sixteen.” He is very funny. There was a clawfoot tub behind a curtain in his room and the bathroom was built to look like an out house. The Christmas fairy had a Santa clause decorations seizure in his room and a gingerbread one in mine. It made the whole trip surreal.

One of my cousins is a very lovely woman, whose mother is a full blooded Comanche. I talked her into teaching me a couple of cuss words in the native tongue. It required some coaxing, because she is very sweet and kept giving me other words, until I asked specifically for the words I wanted. Another one of my cousins is from a little town about an hour from where we were. He’s the fire chief, battalion chief and arson investigator. I was asking him how often he had to investigate arson in his little town and he told me it was more often then you’d suspect.

Last story, I promise. The rented car I drove for the trip had a Magellan. I have never used a GPS before and I’m totally thrilled to have gotten it for the trip down, because I was alone and there were many turn offs and twist and turns and that lady gave me a heads up for all of them. On the down, I picked up my sisters suitcase, she lives about an hour south of me and she hitched a ride with my brother down and drove back with me. I plugged in my destination and don’t ya know that it took me home, but bypassed her town and I had to drive south again to take her fanny home before the trip was finally done.

I know that is sounds weird, but that kind of thing seems to happen regularly. It is Saturn in my planets…Muuahahahah!

Rhianna

PS good news. I won the NOR award for Romantic Suspense Fall 2008 and came in second for Paranormal Romance for Shaking Off the Dust. *happy dance*

6 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

Your trip sounds like it was interesting even though it was for a solemn occasion. And you got a chance to be with you family, which is always nice.

Congrats on winning NOR reward!

And totally wow and congrats on your RT Reviewers Choice nom.

You and SOTD totally deserve it!

Rhianna Samuels said...

Leah!!

You'd have been tickled by some of odd and lighting wit of my brothers. John, my nieces fiance keeps telling me that in his family they think of thier comebacks hours later and it's never quite as funny then. Cliff is so sharp it's scary sometimes and his son Evan, the bloomers guy takes after his father.

Oh well, I hope this new year is treating you well. I'm constantly on the go lately and hope to rest for a bit this weekend. By Sunday I am nose to the computer. the last few days, I'm zoning out as I think of plot ideas for the stories. Yipee.

rhianna

kathyk said...

Big CONGRATULATIONS on winning the NOR reward ~ and coming in second for Paranormal romance. Those are both fantastic pieces of news.
So nice to see other readers have good taste as well!

Funerals... our family is at the point where we're getting together for either funerals or, more lately, weddings.. of nephews and nieces. Of the two, weddings are the happier occasions, but I think we get to spend more time visiting, really visiting, at the funerals.
Either way, they're both family times... and we're not going to escape either.

Your description of your adventures ~ and rooms ~ are wonderful; I really had a good chuckle over the "Christmas fairy seizures"... and bloomers? Too funny. I just bet it was all very surreal... wow! LOL

Rhianna Samuels said...

Hi Kathy!

I hope your New Year began spectacularly. I'm looking forward to some fun this year.

It was neat to win the NOR award. I can use a little exposure to the reading audience. There are a lot of good books out there, so I'm very pleased to be up for the nominations. It is all very unexpected and thrilling.

There was a fair amount of the ridiculous during the trip to east Texas. My Uncle was such a dear man that I think he would have found the humor in some of the experiences on that trip.

Rhianna

kathyk said...

My Uncle was such a dear man that I think he would have found the humor in some of the experiences on that trip.

And that, is the best way to remember the ones we've loved that have moved on. Wonderful to know how he would have enjoyed it. ^.^

Rhianna Samuels said...

Thanks Kathy