Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

The family plans sort of fell through for the night. Instead of having someone to share the evening, I find myself alone and reflective. Sometimes that can be good, and sometimes it just gives me a headache. If I’m spending time thinking too hard, I always hope it’s on the current story I’m writing. That is not the case this evening.

It’s Christmas Eve, where are you in your life? There is a steep learning curve as we age. I’d like to think that it has made me an older, wiser woman to have traveled my own particular path through life. It was circuitous and an often tortuous journey at times, but it lead me to now. Here I am! Yea, I’m not impressed either. *delicate snort*

Aside from the usual complaints about being in debt and nothing of value to show for that, I am alright with where I am. Sure, I’d like to be living on the ocean front or on a large lake, river or mountain stream, but that is one of those dreams that you have and discover it’s great for a couple of weeks, but it’s hard to support the cost of exclusivity. Not that I’d turn you down if you offered me a condo for a month, all expenses paid in any of the above locations. My biggest issue is that I don’t have enough time to do all the important things in live.

I like equal parts work and relaxation, or what I like to call sleep. Yes, I include writing as working. It’s time consuming to craft the perfect sentence. Not that I’ve done that yet, but I keep trying and eventually it will turn up on a page. Most like by accident. I'm okay with that too.

At night, I lay down and start to plot my next scene and the next thing I know I’m turning off the alarm clock. The brilliant flashes seem to come while I’m driving back and forth to work or the grocery store. Why is that? It’s not like I will remember that great speech when I have a chance to write it down, and please don’t give me that sorry line about carrying around a digital recorder, because it’s not going to happen while I’m maneuvering through local traffic.

I have my moments though. I will start writing and it pours out of the pen or my fingertips to appear on paper. I will read it later and be amazed. It’s where I am in my life right now. I have a professional career in a field that I can always fall back on to support me but I want that time for something else. I hate having to give up sleeping time to write. Don’t you? My New Years resolutions is to organize my time better, and hope my thoughts will follow that behavior.

Another bit of good news. Shaking Off the Dust made the nominations for the CAPA awards at TRS. Samhain had a lot of nominations, which is always cool. I don’t know how any of these things get decided, but I thank everyone and anyone who enjoyed the book enough to consider it for nomination. Here’s the link.

http://theromancestudio.com/capa.php

Have an amazing Holiday. I’ll still be rambling on about some thing or other when they are over, so check back.
Rhianna

2 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

Merry Christmas Rhianna!

The family plans sort of fell through for the night

I hope things got back on track today. And what’s Christmas without some family issues?

Aside from the usual complaints about being in debt and nothing of value to show for that, I am alright with where I am

You have a beautiful book that you have written and published and I have a few copies to prove it. That's of huge value in my book. :D

I have my moments though.

Yes, you do. Many I would guess.

Shaking Off the Dust made the nominations for the CAPA awards at TRS.

Whoohoo! You’re in good company and I’m not surprised. :D

Enjoy your holiday

Rhianna Samuels said...

Thanks for the kind words, but I am a dork at heart. Happy Holidays. Yes today went much better, we had a big meal and opened presents afterwards.

Rhianna