Sunday, December 14, 2008

‘Tis the Season

I have been keeping both eyes open. There is so much going on in the world and in my life. I look at how our financial systems have bottomed out and wonder what the end product of all of this will be. Will it affect the diversity of the cars on the market? Will my 403 bounce back before I retire? Will I ever pay off my credit cards? How will this affect the way I live my life for the foreseeable future?


Is it the greed of a few that has finally come home to roost? Or is it just egg on their face for a while? There’s this part of me that thinks we should let them pay for their mistakes in business, just like the local store merchant does when he makes bad financial decisions. The sad thing is that it affects not only the hot shot chairman and board members; it affects every one of us to some degree.


Change comes in many ways. The world rotates and hurricanes crash through our man made world and shrieking winds laugh at what they cause to tumble. Can you imagine the first guy that saw the aftermath of a natural disaster and said…”That won’t happen again for fifty years, maybe I can make a buck insuring people against that happening in my life time.” You know, there is a person somewhere that can determine your worth. They can sit at a computer and using some mathematical program they can tell you how much money your life is worth.


So the question is what am I worth? At my day job, I am at the top of my pay scale. I could probably move to a larger city and make more money, or would the cost of living eat up the pay increase? I could live more frugally, but what would my life be worth to me then? I was raised in a society that said you start school at age five, and for twelve years you study to learn how to function and work to support ourselves. Then we spend our adult life working, hoping and praying that you find a job you like and loved ones along the way. Near the end of our lives we are allowed to retire, at which time we can do what ever we can afford, based on how well we saved our money along the way.


I write romance novels, do I rank higher on worth, or automatically get points taken off for distracting the working public with fiction? Are the stories that I write about the journeys people take because they didn’t have a job with retirement funds. How many of the world’s population live vicariously through books?


It’s a strange world that we live in, when several major companies collapse and every person in our country will feel its affects. (Okay, I know I’m rambling) I would rather have given the money to the car makers and taken it away from the banks. You have companies charging what were considered Loan Shark rates in the forties and fifties getting bailed out. The heart of matter is that these companies became greedy. And we as their customers allowed ourselves to be lured into the, “I want” mentality. Paying later, when I might have more money seems like a good idea when I want it now. They were the pied piper and we rushed to follow. They should fall over the cliff. At least that way all of us pay for the mistake.


I believe that our worth is in our own eyes. There are very few of us who define ourselves by how much money we make or have. If people must define themselves that way, I suspect it is a life empty of self worth. Don’t get me wrong, I want to live comfortable with money to do the extra things, but I don’t use money labels in deciding my worth.


Rhianna

6 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

Rhianna, as usual your post is very thought provoking. I'm too tired to think about it all though. Lucky you huh. : D

I agree with much of what you said and it is an interesting time. But then again, it always is and there is always some crap to deal with.

And worth, there are different kinds I guess. Of course a person has quantifiable worth in the business/ work world. A company needs a skill, you have a skill and the supply/demand thing comes in creating what you are worth depending on the needed skill and the supply.

Outside of that, a person’s worth is unquantifiable. There is no way to place an amount or quantify what worth people I love have to me. They are worth everything. The shirt off my back, my last penny, a major sacrifice. They would probably not think so though.

There are very few of us who define ourselves by how much money we make or have.

I would hope that that is true, however, more than just a few seem to define their worth based on their wealth and position in society. I think it’s rather shallow, but society places so much of your worth as a human based on your pecking order in society that I think it’s very hard to not disassociate with those things in feeling our self worth.

(Okay, I know I’m rambling)

Well, you do have a disclaimer with the name of your blog. : p

Nice new header pic by the way.

Rhianna Samuels said...

Leah,

I was trying to write about current issues. It's nor my forte. Though, I do believe that there will be some dramatic changes in consequence to our current financial situation. And Obama will be bringing something new to the table. I think I'll leave politics to the people who are much smarter than I am.

I have a talent for rambling on, not one that will get me more than an occasional cup of coffee during a chat, but it is a talent. LOL

Rhianna

LVLM(Leah) said...

I was trying to write about current issues. It's nor my forte. Though, I do believe that there will be some dramatic changes in consequence to our current financial situation.

Actually, that part of your post was the part that was very thought provoking. I had started to address that part and I was getting more and more pissed off because I do have a lot to say about it. But I deleted it all because I feel so futile about it.

It all makes one feel so helpless being in the hands of idiots. So I just try to deal with my personal situation and that's all I can do.

Oh, and yes, you do have a talent. :D

Rhianna Samuels said...

I don't know that there is anything that you and I as individuals can do anything to affect the tide of the financial market places. I'm just one of the footprints on the shore that will be scrubbed clean like every other as the tidal wave crashes.

I just want to make sure I can go back to the beach once the bad stuff is over. Well, when I can fit into a sarong anyway. ROTFl

It's always a treat to hear your comments.

LVLM(Leah) said...

Well, when I can fit into a sarong anyway.ROTFl

LOLOL, you do know that you wrap it long ways, like you'd wrap a towel around your waist. You'd have to be really huge not to fit one around you, although I did hear one woman who wasn't that big asking for a an extra large size sarong. :O

Even I can fit one around my waist, and I'm humongous! LOL Ok, I just lied, but it's close to the truth.

You could always wear it as a turban when you make it big and your head swells to the size of a basketball. :P

Or wear it on your head while you pretend to be talking to ghosts when you're book signing. Got to wear lots of bangles and velvet with it though.

Rhianna Samuels said...

You are a treat in my day. I like the turban idea. Velvet is way to hot for a signing. Satin is probably the way to go. Something purple with arm tassels. LOLOL

Rhianna