Saturday, October 4, 2008

Persuation


MY WEBMASTER



It’s quiet now. There’s no sound but for the low hum of the computer fan. I sat down in front of this rectangular machine to blog about…what? I don’t know really. I considered a half dozen topics.


I have been warned to stay away from politics, and in all honestly I haven’t much to say on the subject. I’m not a fan of either candidate. And in truth, no one that even entered the nominations this year seemed like they were there without an agenda.


I am smirking because a couple of weeks ago I was at Sam’s Club and saw this book and I just had to buy it. It’s Jeffrey Gitomer’s Little Green Book of Getting Your Way. I’ll admit that I haven’t read the whole thing. When he started talking about putting in the time and energy and being positive all the time, well I figured I know that and had been looking for a short cut. Just like when I hear about a new diet, I want a short cut, not life changes. If I am doing the work, then I’m not getting my way, I’m making progress.


One of the things he talks about in order to be persuasive is that you must make the person you are trying to persuade believe that the topic is important to them. Get to the point and don’t give a lot of tedious details in your initial presentation.


As a Nurse, I learned to do that a long time ago when I give the patient his discharge instructions, it’s all about what is essential for them to know to get healthy and stay that way. Most of the time, they are already motivated to do as they are instructed.


As a writer, I have to write something they want to read. Beyond even that, I have to actually write the novel and persuade an editor or publisher that it is worth their time to even consider. It’s funny because in my head I can hear every line I’ve ever had used on me to convince me to have sex with someone.


Why do you think it is that we must be persuaded to do so many things. How many of you will freely admit that when it came to a sexual relationship with someone you cared about and chemistry abounded that you didn’t need to be persuaded. You chose without any excuses or arguments. My hand is raised.


Can you also say that you don’t have to be persuaded to do the right thing, to be a good Samaritan or show your humanity. It’s not my intent to persuade you of anything, only to reflect upon it.

Rhianna

6 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

Hmm….about getting your own way. I find it interesting that that book would even appeal to you. But instead of getting into it, I’m going to invoke the “I’ve been told to stay away from politics” clause. :P

Can you also say that you don’t have to be persuaded to do the right thing, to be a good Samaritan or show your humanity.

I think those things depend on what is considered the right thing? And for whom?

Recently the politicians have been trying to persuade the American public that a bail out is in their best interest at the moment to fix a crisis that basically a bunch of greedy, selfish, stupid idiots who should have known better, created and who might get out of this whole thing with all of their funds intact, while the average American got screwed.

So is it the "right thing" to do to agree with a bailout because if I don’t many, many Americans, including myself in the trickle down, will be hurt?

Or am I just facilitating those few who could give a rat’s ass about anyone else but their own greed and comfort and who use people on a regular basis? What IS the right thing who will really benefit here?

When it comes to being persuaded to do things that are hard or cause us discomfort in “doing the right thing,” the right thing had better be something worth being persuaded for and I don’t think what’s considered “hard or difficult” is as universally accepted as those things that give us pleasure.

Is that your bro? And if so, why have you never mentioned that you're a vampire family. In Sookieville it's ok to come out of the closet you know. :D

Rhianna Samuels said...

I agree with your sentiments about the bail out. Though,I understood that the bail out is being done to help the little guy at the end of the trickle down. It may be the difference between a depression or not.

It has already caused major problems, but those problems can be minimized and if they do this right the government may even make money.

I sound like one of those invasion of the the government pod people.

I think my point was that we do what we believe to be right without persuasion. It comes natural. I hate it when we are made to feel bad because we don't do what someone else does. we contribute as individuals on our own way.

Rhianna

LVLM(Leah) said...

I think my point was that we do what we believe to be right without persuasion.

Ok, now I see. You really confuse me many times. LOL

Yes, I think we do, but then again, what is considered the "right" thing to do is subjective.

I hate it when we are made to feel bad because we don't do what someone else does.

That's a whole different ball of wax. Anyway, you will only feel bad if you think you are not doing what you think is the right thing otherwise you wouldn't care what people think. I think.

My mom tries to make me feel guilty that I don't call her or go to see her more often. I know in my mind that in normal society it's the "right" thing to do no matter how my mom has been towards me that I should do those things because she is my mother. And yet, I feel absolutely no guilt, nor do I feel bad that I don't do those things. I could give a crap what people or my mom feels about my lack of attentiveness.

That's just one example of how we know in our heads that we are supposed to be doing something that we don't feel to but quite often are made to feel bad about because we don't really want to.

So, for me it's up to me to let people make me feel bad or not for not following some arbitrary social rule about rightness. They can't actually make me feel anything.

Is this philosophical Sunday? LOL

Rhianna Samuels said...

So, for me it's up to me to let people make me feel bad or not.

I swear that my father used to say the same thing. He'd say that no one can embarrass you or make you feel unworthy.

Yes, that is my bro. We were at DragonCon a couple of years ago.

LVLM(Leah) said...

Your father was a wise man.

And the toos on your bro, very nice.

Is the niece that wants to be a tattoo artist his daughter?

Maybe I will send along to you those almost naked pics of the yakuza dudes covered in tattoos I took in Tokyo.

I'd post them on my blog, but those guys aren't really hot. And my readers might go WTH? LOL

Rhianna Samuels said...

The Tats are fake, tattoo arm sleeves, but they looked real. He ordered them from Germany.

My dad was wise, he was also funny as hell.

He was also wearing freaky contact lenses, but it's not a close up and I managed to loose a few pic when I reformatted.

Rhianna