Friday, November 28, 2008

The want, but don't need Christmas list

Thanksgiving has come and gone. It was a big dinner for a small group this year, but delicious none the less. I had many things to be thankful for, and I am. It is easy to take for granted what we have in our lives. I have two things that make my existence remarkable: first is my family, who are funny, bright and supportive in all things: The second is… I am not in the best shape of my life, but nor am I ill or infirm and that is a great blessing.

Today begins the count down to Christmas, so here I list the items I want, but can’t afford for Christmas. It’s a silly list of things that I think I want, but not enough to save the money to buy.

The Over-budget and dollar-short list.

1. I want, but don’t really need an E-book reader. Not the inexpensive one I can afford. No, the one I want is possibly not made yet. It’s kindle sized, back lit, but takes any format, so I can find the book from any bookstore site and download.

I tell myself that I really have no choice in this item. I am out of books space now. I have become the book-lender to my friends and part of the reason is to keep a number of books circulating so there is space on my shelf for the TBR pile. The dust is collecting and an E-reader could solve those problems for me. It wouldn’t stop me buying those must reads, but the throw away stack would be more reasonable.

2. I want, but don’t need, a new laptop. I want a small portable one, like a MAC or just one that is portable. I have a labtop, it’s several years old, but I bought a 17 inch screen and it is not portable. Even finding a travel bag for it is difficult. I love the large screen, but I don’t utilize it the way I thought I would. (See, aren’t I good at coming up with reasonable excuses on why I should have this item.) I would need a better wireless system in my home. The one I have is not working, so I am tied to the cord and it makes mobility difficult. I can lug the thing to a cafĂ©, but I don’t because it is more work than I want to deal with.

3. I need a new DVD/VCR recorder. Mine is acting up and I was not able to record True Blood the way I wanted too. But, what I really want is a blue ray DVD player recorder system. The DVR is cool, but I can’t turn my friends and family on to a new show when they don’t get a sample of it

4. I need a comfortable chair. Yes, yes, I have complained about this time and again. I have bought two new chairs. You know what…you don’t know if it’s going to be comfortable unless you sit your ass in it for a few days straight. I thought I bought a comfortable chair. I was delusional at the time. It is the most miserable POS I have every had the misfortune to sit my fanny upon. I want the lazy boy, the medium sized, not the over large one. Or one of those deluxe massager things. I don’t care as long as it’s comfortable.

I want, I want, I want….there is a theme here.

5. I want, but don’t need, a eighty gig IPOD. That would be fun, though my issue is that I am deaf in one ear, so I don’t like not being able to hear anything but the music. Once something is in my only hearing side, I don’t hear anything else. So, I’ve always debated on this one. I mostly listen to music in my car and it would be fun to plug in there.

6. Of course that would require a much better car than I have….Hehehe!

7. I need a two week long vacation somewhere quiet and beautiful, where I will not worry about anything but writing.

8. The CD player in my car went out just today. It won’t take my disc. This is a great loss for me, especially now, because I love to play Christmas music. And if I need to replace the system, it might as well be one I can’t really afford, something deluxe with an IPOD plug in port. More likely I will be listening to a lot of radio.

9. As long as I’m listing things I don’t need, but want. A Wii system and exercise program would be fun and perhaps beneficial.

10. This last one I’m saving for you to choose what you’d love to have for Christmas, but really need.

Rhianna Samuels



4 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

Nice list. :D

That would be fun, though my issue is that I am deaf in one ear, so I don’t like not being able to hear anything but the music. Once something is in my only hearing side, I don’t hear anything else.

There is a flaw in that thinking. Even those who have hearing in both ears plug in both head phones and can’t hear anything but the music. That is the point.

I need a comfortable chair. I want the lazy boy, the medium sized, not the over large one.

This would be the biggest thing on this list for me. A comfortable chair is top priority. On lazy boyz, you really have to sit in it and try it. The daughter of the man I take care of bought him one of those Laz-y-boys that are hydrolic, with massager and heated back, and even I can’t sit in it. It’s one of the most painful chairs I’ve sat in. It’s an oversize one.

I need a two week long vacation somewhere quiet and beautiful, where I will not worry about anything but writing.

Flights are really cheap right now. Why don’t you give yourself that? Or stay with a friend who won’t bother you, but let you just relax and do what you want.

because I love to play Christmas music.

Aren’t there any non-stop Christmas only music stations at the moment by you?

And if I need to replace the system, it might as well be one I can’t really afford, something deluxe with an IPOD plug in port.

Before I got the car I have now, I had a Saturn with just the radio. I bought a CD/radio with Aux plug and with installation it cost me only $150. You don’t need a fancy deal. Most car stereos have an Aux port now and you just plug in your mp3 player with a one line input/output cable.

As long as I’m listing things I don’t need, but want. A Wii system and exercise program would be fun and perhaps beneficial.

I have the feeling that if I got this one, which I’ve thought about, it would end up collecting dust like the rest of our exercise equipment.

I would need a better wireless system in my home. The one I have is not working,

Why is it not working?

This last one I’m saving for you to choose what you’d love to have for Christmas, but really need

Actually, I don’t need or want anything. Really. I’m thinking about getting an iPhone, but since I couldn’t get it before this trip, which would have been handy, I have no pressing need or desire for it now. I’m still waiting for my B-day present only because I stalled and stalled on what I wanted until months after because I couldn’t be bothered. I could care less about Christmas gifts. If anything, I’d like more books or get this coming month’s CC bill paid. :D

Rhianna Samuels said...

See and you'd think a lazy Boyz would be comfortable. Everyone keeps saying, why didn't you buy a comfortable one in the first place? Well, duh, wish I'd have thought of that. How can you know if it's going to be comfortable until you spend some time sitting in a chair. That fifteen minutes at the store doesn't do it and most of the time the actual chair you are getting isn't even the one on the floor.

I listen to a lot of eclectic music and for Christmas, I have six or seven home made CD's that of artist I love. Rick Braun and Chris Botti on trumpet and unusual songs that I've found along the way. I love my music collection.
I will end up listening to radio music, but it's on the twenty minute drive to work and back that I tend listen the most.

It's not the ticket to a place that cost the money. It's the hotel, food and simply the cost of a trip.

I had my wireless system set up, then I had to reformat the computer. It screwed with the whole thing, because my brother came to visit and set up a whole security system on it. I don't know who to fix it. So I am waiting to get a better one that reaches more rooms.

Yes, books is a good thing to want.

Rhianna

kathyk said...

Here it is, December 1st and I'm hoping that we get to hold onto our rather mild weather.

*knock on wood* No snow yet... but my youngest daughter, 16, is in a real no-snow-snit...
and no, I couldn't say that fast five times to save my life without it sounding waaaay different!

As for what I want / need for Christmas? Bookshelves ~ and /or a room in which to place said shelves. Like a library! Only better 'cause it'd be mine.

Someday I may be able to talk DH into it... if we could get our son to:

1. go through his room of stuff ~ now that he's been in his own apartment for over 2 years... you'd think, eh?

2. move what he wants to said apartment and let me clear out the rest of the room. Ah, but said DS is a keeper. Honestly, he has nearly everything that he's ever acquired and he'll be 25 next April!

But I want, want, want more space for my books... where I could play with them and organize them to my heart's content... 'cause I love to organize stuff... and no one lets me do that with their stuff and I've got no place for the majority of my books. *whine, whine*

Ah well... and as for something that I want, but don't need? A laptop! Then I couls sit where I want 'cause I've gotta say sitting behind the computer isn't as much fun, or as easy, as it was even a year ago.

Rhianna, I definitely hope you get some of the things that you want-but-don't-need... after all, IMO, that's what presents should be... stuff we won't get ourselves... right?

OH! and guess what I got in the mail today? I'm sooo excited and I'll be reading it as soon as I'm done my present book. I can hardly wait!

Rhianna Samuels said...

Hi Kathy,

It's great to hear from you.

I understand the whole bookshelf thing. Trouble is that I am now tired of dusting. I have one book shelf that is a glass cabinet and that one is not so bad on the dust.

Truth is, that like our Leah, I really don't need anything. I have a great many things. It's that spoiled consumer in me that wants, wants, wants. *snort*

I hope you enjoy the book!

Rhianna