Sunday, November 2, 2008

Turn, Turn, Turn…

Can you believe that it’s only a couple of months until 2009? It seems like it was only yesterday that there were half a dozen disaster movies about how computers, banks and planes would crash because of the turn over at midnight in 1999/2000. Obviously we were on the wrong calendar for all that…because it took eight years for the banks to crash. (Tehe…have to laugh or cry.)

Isn’t there some Mayan calendar that predicts the destruction of all in 2012? Or do they mean the destruction of the world as we know it now? I look over the last several decades and I am shocked by the differences. Technology has turned our society upside down. I haven’t watched Life on Mars yet, though I saw a couple of episodes of the BBC series. We are a technology dependent, instant identification of finger prints and DNA tests, crimes scene sucking police force. Every time I watch a Bourne movie, I worry about prying eyes. (Not that my life is all that interesting.) We are a new world, completely alien to the world of thirty years ago.

Why we seem to be wearing the same clothes from the seventies, I don’t understand. Who looked at those hideous patterns and polyester clothes and thought that was a good idea to bring into fashion. Scuse me, I threw up a little in my throat. I personally hate the current fashion. (Did you guess?) I digress, it’s a personal soap box for me.

The wireless world of communications has broken through barriers that not so long ago kept billions of people isolated from the rest of the world. Once those lines of communication are open, it is nearly impossible to stop conversation and knowledge exchange. One the great pleasures of getting older is seeing the world change.

I’m looking forward to turning the reins of politics and technology over to this newest generation. They have been talking to each other since early childhood. They have learned to collaborate instead of horde, and they are being raised to believe there are no boundaries, only new horizons. My heavens, the stars and beyond are at their fingertips. I so want to hitch a ride with one of them.

Which is your favorite generation? I had a good time in my twenties, did amazing things. Was it the time, or was it my age and perspective. I think it was my age that made that time incredible. I was open to experiencing life and was young, unafraid and sassy. If it were 2008 for my twenties, I would still be the person in the sway of youth and freedom. I think it was the age…though it was a great time back then.

What do you think?

Rhianna Samuels

7 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

They have been talking to each other since early childhood. They have learned to collaborate instead of horde, and they are being raised to believe there are no boundaries, only new horizons

The only drawback is they don’t know how to actually talk to each other and have a conversation without some form of technology in hand. I don’t know if that will be a bad thing, but it’s something I feel grateful for having grown up in the time I did; that we actually hung out and talked face to face.

But I will admit to being more comfortable with communicating through technology than in person. I even hate talking on the phone and would rather email or IM, which I don’t know is a good thing because it does keep people at a distance and I like that somehow.

Which is your favorite generation?

After 18, it’s all been good. I’ve loved every time period except maybe my 40’s but that was only because of my job. And I totally get off on all the new technology out there which exploded while in my 40’s. Since I’m the kind of person who loves to mix it up with all kinds of people and especially foreigners, this time now is the perfect world for me.

One thing is that before, I had to travel and go places to meet people from all over and I totally got off on that. Now I meet people from all over online and then have met them in person. These are people that I would have never known without all this technology so it’s very exciting.

I was open to experiencing life and was young, unafraid and sassy

I’ve found that maybe I’m not as willing to risk everything for that one crazy experience as I used to, but at the same time, as I’ve aged, I’ve become more willing to explore parts of me that I needed to be more settled and mature in my being to experience. And so I feel I’m just as open, if not more so, than when I was younger because I’m confident that I won’t loose myself, who I really am, in the exploration process, which I was way more afraid of when I was younger.

LVLM(Leah) said...

Rhianna-- how does it feel to be living in a state in which your vote is hugely important in the deciding factor in this election?

Living in WA, even though I voted last week and all votes count, it's almost overwhelmingly Dem, so it's never really a deciding state.

Rhianna Samuels said...

I’m confident that I won’t loose myself, who I really am, in the exploration process, which I was way more afraid of when I was younger.

I love that thought. I think that is what I feel also. In my youth, I wasn't sure what I wanted to be, and now I know that just being is how you explore life. Or as the old sage Popeye said, "I am what I am."

I know that I lost myself a time or two in relationships. Being what I thought someone else wanted. It's a youthful mistake.


As for voting, it's been hard work to vote today. I went by the old place I used to vote at 7am and they said I was at the wrong precinct. so I waited till after work, first I had to go by B&N and pick up Swallowing Darkness and Kelly Armstrong's new one. I went to the wrong grade school. I made it to the right one just 20 minutes before they closed.

The funny part is mom has been bugging me for weeks to vote I always do, so I don't understand her worry. anyway I asked the precinct judge to write a note for my mom...they did. she laughed, so did all the folks at the voting place.

Rhianna

LVLM(Leah) said...

I know that I lost myself a time or two in relationships. Being what I thought someone else wanted. It's a youthful mistake.

Heh, with my first two major loves I did that. But I think that's more a female thing than a youth issue per se. I still have those tendencies, but have learned to take my own space and not give up my power.

As for voting, it's been hard work to vote today.

I had to do absentee because my guy is almost completely bed ridden and we don't out anymore so I'm stuck in the house and don't live near-by anyway. But when I signed up for it I made it permanent. And I must say, it's so much nicer to sit down with a cuppa Joe and take my time going through the ballot stuff. So much easier and relaxed.

Your mom is funny. LOL

Rhianna Samuels said...

I think I'll try the early vote next times. It was interesting rushing around to vote. The place was pretty empty when I got there with twenty minutes to spare though.


I think there is that fear that we, as females, are not lovable unless we are exactly what our lover wants. Meh, that's delusional thinking.

Rhianna

kathyk said...

Darn, I've been having a hard time sitting down and really focusing on anything. I wish I showed up here earlier!!

Can you believe that it’s only a couple of months until 2009?

Boy this "life going at the speed of light" thing is getting kinda scary! But watching my kids and nieces and nephews growing up, while a little breath-stealin, is so much fun!.... Mostly. *grin*

The wireless world of communications has broken through barriers that not so long ago kept billions of people isolated from the rest of the world.

Boy I have to admit that that's one technology that, especially now, I'm enjoying. Instant communication with my dearest yet distant daughter Lisa. And with the webcam on my daughter Meagan's computer ~ and one on Lisa's ~ we can actually see each other when we talk. Abso-freaking-lutely AMAZING! And as a mom that's not *seen* her oldest little girl for over a year, it's a serious balm for the heart!

Boy for me my 20's were okay ~ sometimes better than others; I was on my own, working at a job I liked that paid well, had a pretty active social life... but overlaying all that was a sense of aloneness that I hadn't learned to appreciate yet.
I was still young enough that life was pretty easy ~ of course with my independence and a good job it made things much, much easier ~ and with my family around to spend time with, there wasn't much that I felt lacking.

Of course I was also, I see now, very much in a holding pattern. Got to say I like the life that I have now... not that it was easy getting here. But I've heard it said ~ and I strongly believe it ~ that anything worth having is worth working / fighting for. Otherwise, how would you know it's important?

Rhianna, you have the neatest blogs... often thought-provoking, even more often fun.... What a great place to visit!

Rhianna Samuels said...

Hi Kathy,

I'm being a bum and have been reading, so I haven't done a new blog yet. I will on Wednesday though.

Isn't that wonderful to see your daughter, as you talk to her. To reassure your heart and mind that she is well and thriving. Young people around the world are doing similar conversations with thier family and meeting new friends across the world.

I think that Leah is right too, that we have those that can't sit next to each other and get along, but will go on line as a completely different person.

They hide themselves in school, because the pressure and stress of being the cool one is too much, but have a different world online in which they thrive.

Yeh, I know there is a much darker side to it all, there always is.

Rhianna